Fundação Iberê Camargo Residency at Gasworks
1st October 2012 - 31st December 2012
(dates subject to change)
Applications now closed. Artist selected for 2012: Marina Camargo.
Application is to be made to Fundação Iberê Camargo directly.
The Iberê Camargo foundation in partnership with Gasworks is pleased to announce a new residency opportunity for a Brazilian artist.
In 2001, the Iberê Camargo foundation founded its annual programme of scholarships for Brazilian artists in international institutions. The programme aims to enable the opportunity for artists to have a residency abroad for a short period in order to contribute to the development and improvement of artists and to promote exchange and learning activities.
The scholarship also aims to publicise the work of Brazilian artists on the site Iberê Camargo and invite an artist, selected by the jury, to participate in the Guest Artist Programme of the Printmaking Workshop in Porto Alegre.
The residency at Gasworks comprises:
- Accommodation during an 12-week stay in London
- Budget for materials
- A weekly stipend over the 12 week period
- A studio at Gasworks
- An Artist's Talk and Open Studio, or similar public presentations, at Gasworks
- Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks
Selection & Eligibility
This scholarship is aimed at Brazilian citizens or foreign nationals who can prove at least 5 years residency in Brazil, with participation in at least three previous solo exhibitions and/or conferences. Artists in the process of education will be prioritised on the condition of having at least four years of a systematic production of art.
Eligibility for the scholarship also requires fluency in English. The Iberê Camargo foundation conducts proficiency tests with those artists who are considered for the residency. For further advice on artist eligibility, please refer to the Iberê Camargo foundation website.
The successful application will be selected by a jury panel of three experts in the field of visual arts.
The jury will select a candidate for the residency based on the following criteria:
- A correctly filled out application form and having received the required materials.
- Quality and relevance of the project to be developed
- Background and clarity of proposal
- Feasibility of the proposed schedule
To apply please fill out the application form which can be found on the Iberê Camargo foundation website.
Obligations for the selected candidate
The selected artist will sign a commitment to the Iberê Camargo foundation which entails:
- Providing the Iberê Camargo foundation with a report for the period of the residency which covers of the work and activities undertaken at Gasworks.
- Providing information on the development of the work during the period of the residency, so that updates can be posted to the site of the foundation.
- Authorising the use of images of their work for publication by the foundation in various media.
- If requested by the Iberê Camargo foundation after returning to Brazil, giving a lecture open to the public in Porto Alegre, reporting their experience with the work of Gasworks.
- Referring to the Iberê Camargo award in exhibitions or dissemination of the work done during the residency.
- The visa is the responsibility of the selected candidate.
- Artists who have already had a residency at Gasworks cannot apply the Iberê Camargo foundation residency.
- Each applicant can only receive the scholarship once.
- No applications will be considered of people connected directly or indirectly to the Iberê Camargo foundation.
- Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances and the Iberê Camargo foundation is not responsible for their safekeeping or return.
- After completion of the selection process all digital media will be destroyed, except of the selected artist.
- The Iberê Camargo foundation does not provide a language preparation course. If the selected candidate does not meet the language standard required, the scholarship will be granted to another artist.
- If the papers presented fall short of the standard of quality held by the jury, the Iberê Camargo foundation reserves the right not to select any candidate for the scholarship.
- Registration entails automatic and full compliance with the terms of this call.
Application is to the Fundação Iberê Camargo directly, so please read the steps for application they provide carefully.