We are now accepting applications from artists based in the United Kingdom for a fully funded, two-month residency at the Bag Factory, Johannesburg, South Africa Gasworks’ International Fellowships Programme offers UK-based artists the opportunity to undertake a residency at one of Gasworks’ partners abroad. This programme is funded by Arts Council England.
The Bag Factory is a not for profit organisation established in 1991 to provide studio space for visual artist. Initiated by Robert Loder and David Koloane 21 years ago, to bring together artists from different racial, cultural and educational backgrounds.
The Bag Factory has had a substantial number of South Africa’s best known artists working under its roof, such as William Kentridge, Kay Hassan, Penny Siopis, Sam Nhlegethwa, Blessing Ngobeni. For the past two decades, the Bag Factory has provided one of the very few, and at times the only, dedicated spaces for visual arts studios in Johannesburg.
The selected artist is offered a supportive environment while working alongside other artists from a diversity of backgrounds. While in residence the artists exchange ideas, experiences, techniques and disciplines that make for greater levels of experimentation and new forms of professional creative expression.
The artist will be granted an opportunity to interact with local artists, to expand their network internationally and to experience a climate of cultural diversity. Working at the studios, they will get to know the permanent artists at the Bag Factory, the city of Johannesburg and an insight in to the art world in Johannesburg and South Africa.
The Fellowship Comprises
- Accommodation (room in a house with shared kitchen and bathroom)
- A temporary work space
- Basic living expenses
- Materials budget
- Economy return flights
- Local travel budget
- Public event/s as agreed with the host organisation, such as an Artist Talk or Open Studio
- Administrative and peer support is also provided for all participating artists
(NB: travel insurance is not covered.)
Selection and Eligibility:
The fellowship program is open to emerging and mid-career artists based in the UK. Ideal candidates show significant promise and dedication to their work and are in a position in their careers in which access to studio space and a supportive community in Johannesburg will be particularly meaningful and transformative to their practice. It is important that all applicants research the Bag Factory thoroughly before submitting their proposal so as to be fully aware of the context which they would, if successful, be entering. Specific questions may be directed by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The artist will be selected on the basis of their application. Artists will be shortlisted by a committee that will include members from Gasworks and the host organisation. The successful candidate only will be informed by 1 December 2017.
We accept digital applications only. Please use the online application form at the bottom of the relevant opportunity page on Gasworks’ website.
Your application should include:
1. A statement outlining what you plan to work on during the residency at the Bag Factory (300 word max)
2. A short artist's statement describing your overall artistic practice (250 word max)
3. Please describe what you can contribute to and what do you need from a dynamic, international, multidisciplinary, small-scale artist residency program? (200 word max)
4. A minimum of 5 images of recent work (within the PDF document) with captions and a short description if necessary
5. A current CV, a cover sheet with your name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers. Confirmation that you will be available from February - March 2018, if selected.
6. Names, contact information and your relationship to two references who can speak to your overall practice and character.
Please upload your application through Gasworks Website’s portal. Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered. Please note that there is a 10MB limit on pdf submissions. If your file is not in pdf format or is over 10MB you will not be able to submit it.
Applications for this opportunity have now ended
If you are a succesfull applicant you wil be notified in due course.
Please note that we only contact succesful applicants.