We are now accepting applications from artists based in the United Kingdom for a fully funded, two-month residency at Lugar a Dudas. Gasworks’ International Fellowships Programme offers UK-based artists the opportunity to undertake a residency at one of Gasworks’ partners abroad. This programme is funded by Arts Council England.
For further information, please visit the Lugar a Dudas partner page at www.trianglenetwork.org
About Lugar a Dudas
Lugar a Dudas is a non-profit independent space. Its purpose is to promote and disseminate artistic contemporary creation through a process of investigation, production and open discussion. It is a laboratory that promotes knowledge of contemporary art, facilitates the development of creative process, and encourages community interaction through artistic practices. www.lugaradudas.org
As its name suggests “place for doubts”, it is a space for thinking and reflecting on the artistic practices and the complexities of the context in which we live.
Cali is the capital of the Valle del Cauca Department and considered the third most important city in Colombia. It is a city well supplied with water resources, being known as the ‘city of seven rivers’. Strategically located in the South-West of the country, in big plains surrounded by “Los Farallones” National Natural Park, circled by seven rivers and within Buenaventura port, the most important ocean exit in Colombia, which connects the country to the Pacific Coast.
In 2016, artist Catherine Repko undertook a residency at Lugar a Dudas. To read about Catherine's work and experience whilst in Cali please click here.
The Fellowship Comprises:
- Accommodation (private room in shared house with small workspace inside room)
- Shared workspace with other artists, 24-hour access
- Basic living expenses
- Materials budget
- Economy return flights
- Local travel budget
- Public event/s as agreed with the host organisation, such as an Artist Talk or Open Studio
- Administrative and peer support is also provided for all participating artists
(NB: travel insurance is not covered.)
Selection and Eligibility:
The fellowship program is open to emerging and mid-career artists based in the UK. Previous applicants to this or other fellowships are welcome to re-apply if appropriate.
Ideal candidates show significant promise and dedication to their work and are at a moment in which access to studio space and a supportive community in Cali will be particularly meaningful and transformative to their practice. It is important that all applicants research Lugar a Dudas thoroughly before submitting their proposal so as to be fully aware of the context which they would, if successful, be entering. Specific questions may be directed by email to: email@example.com cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
The artist will be selected on the basis of their application. Artists will be shortlisted by a committee that will include members from Gasworks and the host organisation. Only the successful candidate will be informed by Friday 17th May, 2019.
We accept digital applications only. Please use the online application form at the bottom of the relevant opportunity page on Gasworks’ website.
Your application should include:
1. A statement outlining what you plan to work on during the residency at Lugar a Dudas (300 word max)
2. A short artist's statement describing your overall artistic practice (250 word max)
3. Please describe what you can contribute to and what do you need from a dynamic, international, multidisciplinary, small-scale artist residency program? (200 word max)
4. A minimum of 5 images of recent work (within the PDF document) with captions and a short description if necessary
5. A current CV, a cover sheet with your name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers. Confirmation of dates for an 8-week period you would be available between September and December, if selected.
6. Names, contact information and your relationship to two references who can speak to your overall practice and character.
Deadline for applications: 10am, Monday 13th May 2019