We are now accepting applications from artists based in the United Kingdom for a fully funded, six-week residency at Sagrada Mercancía, Santiago in Chile. Gasworks’ International Fellowships Programme offers UK-based artists the opportunity to undertake a residency at one of Gasworks’ partners abroad. This programme is funded by Arts Council England.
About Sagrada Mercancía
Sagrada Mercancía is an independent artist-run space located in downtown Santiago, Chile. Since 2014, they have organised international residencies, curated exhibitions and events. Their mission is to instigate critical thinking around contemporary art exhibitions through a space that functions as an alternative to commercial galleries and other art institutions in Chile. Through its programmes, Sagrada Mercancía aims to create and access networks between local artists, curators and the public, to disseminate their activities and join critical conversations on contemporary art across Latin America and beyond.
Applicants are required to submit a research proposal (up to 300 words) illustrating how they might approach the residency and what they hope to achieve. The panel will be looking for well developed, context-specific proposals.
The Fellowship Comprises:
- Accommodation (private room in shared house with small workspace inside room. Wifi included)
- Individual workspace in the gallery facilities and shared workspace with the team of Sagrada Mercancía, 24-hour access
- Basic living expenses
- Materials budget
- Economy return flights
- Local travel budget
- Public event/s as agreed with the host organization, such as an Artist Talk or Open Studio
- Administrative and peer support is also provided for all participating artists
(NB: travel insurance is not covered.)
Selection and Eligibility:
The fellowship program is open to emerging and mid-career artists based in the UK. Previous applicants to this or other fellowships are welcome to re-apply if appropriate. Ideal candidates show significant promise and dedication to their work and are at a moment in which access to studio space and a supportive community in Santiago will be particularly meaningful and transformative to their practice. It is important that all applicants research Sagrada Mercancia thoroughly before submitting their proposal so as to be fully aware of the context which they would, if successful, be entering. Specific questions may be directed by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please visit: @sagradamercancia and www.sagradamercancia.com
We accept digital applications only. Please use the online application form at the bottom of the relevant opportunity page on Gasworks’ website.
Your application should include:
1. A statement outlining what you plan to work on during the residency at Sagrada Mercancia (300 word max)
2. A short artist's statement describing your overall artistic practice (250 word max)
3. Please describe what you can contribute to and what do you need from a dynamic, international, multidisciplinary, small-scale artist residency program? (200 word max)
4. A minimum of 5 images of recent work (within the PDF document) with captions and a short description if necessary
5. A current CV, a cover sheet with your name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers. Confirmation of dates for an 6-week period you would be available between March and April 2020, if selected.
6. Names, contact information and your relationship to two references who can speak to your overall practice and character.
Applications for this opportunity have now ended
If you are a succesfull applicant you wil be notified in due course.
Please note that we only contact succesful applicants.