Fondazione Memmo and Gasworks are working in partnership to offer a fully funded residency at Gasworks, London, for an artist based in Italy, from 11 January – 29 March 2021. The Fondazione Memmo was established in 1990 to realise the dream of its founder, Roberto Memmo, who desired to bring the world of art to the broader public. Through the development and production of exhibitions, performances, residencies, talks, conferences, workshops and art publications, Fondazione Memmo aims to actively support current and cutting edge practices in order to contribute to the development of our future. As part of this mission the residency for Italian artists focuses on practitioners interested in working outside their local context, thereby bringing Italian contemporary art into an international arena.
Gasworks’ residencies are opportunities for self-led professional development, artistic exchange and experimentation. They encourage artists undertake new research and widen their networks in order to support the development of their practice.
The residency comprises:
- 24-hour access to a fully accessible studio at Gasworks, alongside other visiting artists and Gasworks’ permanent studio holders.
- An Open Studio, or similar public presentations, at Gasworks
- Single room accommodation within Gasworks Residencies House (a 3-story house, shared with 3 other artists-in-residence)
- Basic living expenses in London (£150 p/week)
- Economy return flights from the artist’s home city to London
- Travel card (zones 1+2) for unlimited travel within central London for the duration of the residency
- Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks (during office hours)
- Curatorial Support from Fondazione Memmo
For more information about the residency and how to apply, please download the information in the Resources section below.
Fondazione Memmo and Gasworks Application Procedure
We accept digital applications only. Please use the online application form at the bottom of the relevant opportunity page on Gasworks’ website, here.
Your application should include the following in ONE PDF file only:
1. An artist's statement describing your practice and areas of interest (up to 250 words)
2. A minimum of 10 images of recent work, with captions and a short description if necessary
3. A CV/Resume
4. A simple statement outlining your plans, if you were to be offered the residency, which could include a short description of a research project specific to the context of London or your residency at Gasworks (up to 250 words). This proposal does not have to be definitive and can change during the course of the residency.
5. Any relevant documentation (e.g. articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc)
6. A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers if available, plus confirmation that you will be available from 11 January to 29 March 2021, if selected.
Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered.
Please note that there is a 10MB limit on pdf submissions. If your file is not in pdf format or is over 10MB you will not be able to submit it.
The selection committee is comprised of Alessio Antoniolli (Director, Gasworks), Sabel Gavaldon (Curator, Gasworks), Joel Furness (Programmes Manager, Gasworks), Anna d’Amelio Carbone (Director, Fondazione Memmo), Fabiana Marenghi Vaselli Bond (Director, Fondazione Memmo), and Ilaria Puri Purini (independent curator).
This residency is supported by the Fondazione Memmo.
Application Deadline: Tuesday 29th September 2020
* COVID-19 notice: Amid the current crisis, Gasworks’ top priority is ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the artists, staff and the public. Applications for this residency are now open, but we will continue to assess the situation and inform the public if there are any changes. In the event that this residency cannot safely take place on the advertised dates, we will do our best to reschedule it for the selected artist at the earliest convenience.
Applications for this opportunity have now ended
If you are a succesfull applicant you wil be notified in due course.
Please note that we only contact succesful applicants.